Deans List Nominations
FIRST Core Values We express the FIRST® philosophies of Gracious Professionalism® and Coopertition® through our Core Values:
• Discovery: We explore new skills and ideas.
• Innovation: We use creativity and persistence to solve problems.
• Impact: We apply what we learn to improve our world.
• Inclusion: We respect each other and embrace our differences.
• Teamwork: We are stronger when we work together.
• Fun: We enjoy and celebrate what we do!
What is the FIRST® Tech Challenge Dean’s List Award?
In an effort to recognize the leadership and dedication of FIRST’s most outstanding secondary school students, the Kamen family sponsors an award for selected 10th and 11th grade students known as the FIRST Robotics Competition and FIRST Tech Challenge Dean’s List.
Prestigious colleges have expressed great interest in meeting FIRST Dean’s List’s Award winners and FIRST hopes that each Team will take advantage of the opportunity to nominate the most qualified students as FIRST Dean’s List Nominees!
Dean’s List Award Criteria Criteria for selection of the FIRST Dean’s List shall include, but not be limited to a student’s:
• Demonstrated leadership and commitment to FIRST Core Values
• Effectiveness at increasing awareness of FIRST in their school and community
• Interest in and passion for a long-term commitment to FIRST
• Overall individual contribution to their team
• Technical expertise and passion
• Entrepreneurship and creativity
• Ability to motivate and lead fellow team members
Deciding Which Students to Nominate
The entire FIRST Tech Challenge team should work together to determine which two of their teammates they feel should be nominated for the Dean’s List Award. FIRST is relying upon the team for the veracity and accuracy of the submission data.
Who Submits the Nominations?
A mentor or coach of the team who is unrelated to the student being nominated can submit the nomination for the Dean’s List Award. This can either be done by the Lead Coach 1 or 2, or by a role called Dean’ List Award Submitter.
Rio Grande Valley Process
Updated for 2020: The Rio Grande Valley has a five-member Dean’s List Nomination Committee that consists of professionals from across the region. These are not educators nor sponsors that have any teams. While these are external members, they are very aware of the mission of FIRST in our community. Their identities are not disclosed publicly to ensure they remain unbiased from external communications.
After the closing of submissions, students will be contacted via their coach for interviews. Interviews will be done via schedule Zoom interviews before the FIRST Tech Challenge South Texas Regional. Coaches, parents, mentors or those not on the committee may not participate in the Zoom interview.
Any mentor or VISTA may assist any coach in the process of submitting any nominations and can help answer any questions. No member of the Board of Directors may assist in this process.